Pages

Infolinks

Getting Real About My Bra Collection

You might remember from my recent post "How Many Bras Do You Need To Own, Anyway?" that I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by my bra collection. This is the first time I've ever owned TOO MANY bras and it really didn't feel as awesome as I was expecting. The thing is, bras actually aren't an article of clothing whose primary function is to add novelty to your life. They are ultimately a support/shaping garment and consequently, you are going to find yourself reaching for the same few bras morning after morning no matter whether you own two bras total, or fifty.

And yes, owning too many bras is WAY better than owning too few. Last summer I only owned TWO bras that fit me, so during the really hot weeks where I had to wash them every day, and it was too humid for them to dry properly overnight, it really sucked. I was so confused and unsure about my size at that time, and I was SO poor, that the situation went on for months. I didn't start buying bras until I got to the UK in September, and once I had started, I just never stopped. I've now come to realize that owning too many bras may be better than owning too few, but it's a lot worse than owning the right amount of bras and seeing the rest of that money in the bank.

Looking back on my older post "If Your Boobs Are Bigger Than Your Budget" I can see where I was going wrong. Buying bras had become this ultimate scavenger hunt for me. When I found a good deal, I was so excited and didn't want to miss out on it. I would troll eBay and Amazon looking for deals. Often I would tell myself I was buying something "just to try it" but once I had it in my hands it was a lot harder to return it.

The other problem I've noticed is that I get caught up in the hype of new, exciting products. For instance, I feel this compulsion to try Curvy Kate's Smoothie bra when it comes out in September, even though I don't really wear padded bras.


Given the opportunity, I will always choose a non-padded bra over a padded bra, so why should I buy the Smoothie at all? To review it for my blog, sure, but to OWN? I don't need to own that bra. But what do you want to bet that it is going to be very difficult to let go of it if it's a good fit, even if I know I'll never wear it?

I'm trying to get real and sell a lot of my bras that I never wear. Most of the ones I'm selling have been worn only two or three times. I don't know why I have such an aversion to padded bras, but they just seem so stiff and bulky. They don't fit in drawers, they don't breathe, and they always show so much cleavage. The bras I really wear are my Cleo Lucys, my Panache Sienna, my blue Cleo Brooke, and occasionally my nude Panache Harmony. I sometimes wear my white Thea plunge with low-cut clothes, and I know I would wear my red Freya Antoinette frequently if the straps were thinner, so I'm going to switch the thick straps for the straps from my red Curvy Kate Princess, which I've given up on. Finally, I have an older Curvy Kate Tease Me (this orange one) that I wear to bed because it's nice and soft and has a high center gore to keep my boobs separated while I sleep.

But that's ALL. Everything else is just taking up space and represents all the money I've wasted. It's pretty lame. I need to clear them out.

I'm not saying I will stop buying new bras. I love buying bras and they will always have a place in my budget. I'm saying I should be smarter about knowing what I will wear frequently. Just because a bra fits amazingly (like this Masquerade Delphi) doesn't mean I'll wear it more than twice. Just because I WANT to like something (like this Cleo Bonnie) doesn't mean that I will like it.

Here are the bras that are on my horizon...

The Cleo Lucy is coming out in this interesting Navy/Pink combination this fall.


I like it and will probably pick it up once it goes on sale--maybe for full price, if my coral Lucy has kicked the bucket by then.

I wrote earlier about this yellow Cleo Lucy.


I haven't bought it yet, but it's starting to show up on eBay at lower prices, so I'm thinking about it. I'm not sure if I would really wear a yellow bra, and I don't have any yellow underwear, so I'm going to try to figure that out before I spend the money.

The Panache Sienna, probably the closest I'll ever get to the Perfect Bra, is coming out in the fall in this "Lagoon" color.

Honestly I'm not crazy about this color. It sort of looks... murky. Like... a swamp bra. I wish it was brighter, or that the lace was a lighter color instead of black. But if I find this bra at a low price (like $20) later, I will buy it anyway, even though I don't like the color. (THAT, my friends, is how you know a bra is right for you! If you will wear it more than prettier bras, no matter how ugly you think it is!)

The Cleo Marcie, coming out August (I think) is really cute and looks like something that would fit me well. I would be willing to pay full price for this.


If it does fit me well, I'd wear it a lot. But if it isn't a perfect fit, I WILL return it!

The Cleo Meg, also coming out in August, is really, really cute.


I just don't have the best feeling about how the shape will work for me. I might try it if I find it on sale. I love the color scheme but I know now that's not reason enough to own something. May as well just own a picture of it in that case...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

18 hour 2 hook 3 hook extensions 34dd 3pack 45500 962031X42 962033X46 96203Large38 96203Small34 aa accessories adhesive bra affordable Alexander Allure American American Apparel American Apparel Stretch Bull Denim anita Apparel Apparel America Around Arthritis as seen on tv Assorted athlete Atlantis baby baby shower gift back backless Bali bandeau bra Bankrs bare lifts barely there Beautiful BellyLady Beloved best bra Bestsellers Big Chill Women's Scuba BirthandBaby bra bra - strapless bra extender bra extenders bra extension bra insert bra inserts bra size bra solutions bra strap bra strap concealer bra strap cushion bra strap holder bra strap holders bra-extenders-3 -hook-3-colors bra-soft comfortable braless bralette bras Bravado braza breast breast feeding Breast Feeding Bra breast pump breast pump accessories breast pump accessory bridal bride bridesmaid busty Calvin calvin klein calvin klein collection camí camisole camisoles Capris Cavity champion cheap cleavage cleavage enhancers Closure clothes Cocktail Colors Comfort comfortable comfortable bra comfy concealers converter convertible Corset costume costumes Cotton cotton bra CottonSpandex Cover Coverage Crochet crossdress Crotchless dance Daywear ddd Delivery Demi Bra demicup Design Designer Designs Discount Dress dresses Ecoland Empire enhancer enhancers Essential everyday bra everyday bras exercise Extreme Fancee fashion tape Feather felina Flower France front hook front opening bra fruit of the loom full figure full-bust sportswear G-String Gilligan go2 bra go2 bras goddess hands free hanes high impact inexpensive Inserts International Intimate Apparel intimates jezebel jogging Lace lace bra Lamaze Leading League Leisure leisure bra lilyette Lingerie lingerie sets lipo in a box Long Sleeve Lounge Lowest maidenform Malley maternity maternity bra maternity bras MaternityNursing Maximizer medela MEDIUM microfiber Mini Dress Minimizer minimizer bras minimizers modest Molded Motherhood motion control moving comfort moving comfort maia bra multipack extender Natural Nightime nipple nipple cover nipple covers nipples nursing nursing bra nursing bras Nursing Bras 34dd Nursing Bras 34g Nursing Bras 38f Nursing Bras for Large Breast nursing cover up nursing mothers nursing tank NurtureWear nylon olga OMalley open cup bra Order Organic Original padded padded sport bra Panache panties Passion Perfectly personal care petite pink Playtex Pleated PlumGrey Plunge Plus Size plus size bra poor quality posture posture bra pregnancy pretty Printed Products Promotions Protector Pullover pumping push up push-up pushup racerback reusable Ruffles running running bra Satin Scarf Sculpt seamless Secret sexy sexy bra Sexy Lingerie Shaper Shapers sheer shelf bra ShirtTank shock absorber Showing silicon bra inserts silicone silicone bra silicone nipple covers Silver sissy basics skirts sleep bra sleep nursing bra SleepLeisure Sleeveless smooth smoothing Softcup Spandex spanx bras Sports sports bra sports bras sportswear strap holder strap perfect strapless strapless bra Stretch Stripe super sexy Supima support Surgery Tailored Tank Top And Matching Traditional Tribal Tropical Ultimate Undercover underwear underwire underwire bra underwire bras underwire support Underworks Unique Unlined uplift Valentine vanity fair Velcro Versatile vk Vneck wacoal wacoal bra warners wedding wire free wire-free wirefree wireless wireless bra women Women's womens Wonder wonderbra yoga zip-front